The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), being a pan-African network of Centres of Excellence, focuses on its four core values, one of which is pan-Africanism, ensuring that there is synergy across all centres to bridge inter-centre gaps.
AIMS offers postgraduate training in the mathematical sciences, research, as well as promoting public engagement in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). These Centres of Excellence are linked, sharing many commonalities, and each playing a role to lead in Africa’s socio-economic transformation.
Ideally, members of the AIMS community should be able to freely visit other centres for better interaction, skill advancement and sharing of ideas however the COVID-19 situation does not fully embrace this.
Designed to boost virtual engagement among students, alumni, researchers and staff, the AIMS Community Portal was created. It is accessible via mainstream Internet Web but has a Mobile App version on Google Play for Android devices as well as an equivalent on the Appstore for Apple devices. It has many features which enhance the AIMS experience with interaction from all centres – South Africa, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda.
Providing support for community members in various forms including mentorship, employment offers as well as alumni relations and engagement, the platform enables members to also keep up with activities at the various centres. It serves as a networking ground for different groups to socialize and interact both formally and informally.
The community portal also ensures a united AIMS front, with an opportunity to have real-time inter-centre relations, exchange and share ideas. On the platform, there are a variety of options with opportunities to access events, a business directory and study resources.
If you are a member of the AIMS community, you are encouraged to sign up to this platform using your AIMS email as your unique ID. The idea is to ensure that we bring together anyone within the AIMS network especially our students and alumni.
With over 2,500 alumni across the globe, there are Alumni Associations in specific countries set in place to engage in activities that include networking sessions, professional development sessions, social events, parties, homecoming, among others. In order not to miss out on anything, regardless of your position or portfolio, get interactive on the AIMS Community Portal.
Five ways to explore the AIMS Community Portal.
- The Feed panel allows you to post anything on your mind for the consumption of all members.
- The Directory panel presents to you the full list of all members on the platform. You can search for people by name, location, year of completion, center of affiliation, among others.
- The Mentoring panel presents to you the key topics people are working on. You can as well find a mentor in a desired field as well as offer mentorship to some students who may be requesting for one in your field.
- The Job panel presents to you the available job opportunities that are on display. You can as well post a job for the interest of others.
- The Group panel presents the several sub groups available on the platform. This includes the individual year groups. This aids easy search for friends and aids collaborations.
The platform, like all other social media platforms, allows for live messages/chats with friends. Post, like and comment on the AIMS Community Portal to foster better involvement.
Click HERE to get started.